The decision of getting a baby stroller of any type is not one to take lightly. If you thought it was hard to find a good stroller, you should think about all the things you will need to keep in mind to use it properly, and the purchase part will look like a piece of cake.
The good news is that these days, baby strollers are much more reliable than they used to be a few decades ago. With all the remarkable technological advancements made since the 1980s, the strollers of today require little care and maintenance. However, you will still need to act responsibly.
Testing Your New Baby Stroller
The first step you need to take when you get a new baby stroller is to test it for stability and reliability. One of the most common accidents involving baby strollers has to do with the stroller tipping over with the baby still inside.
To avoid any such mishaps, you have to make sure that the stroller is stable enough without endangering your child. With the stroller empty, try placing a few heavy bags into the basket or hang them on the handles to make sure the stroller won’t tip over. Also, you should test the wheel locks on a hill (especially in the case of jogging strollers) to make sure they are sturdy enough.
Safety Tips and Recommendations
Safety is the most important thing when it comes to using a baby stroller. Despite all the installed safety features, accessories and sturdy construction, you still have to remember that your baby is very fragile and needs your full attention at all times when it comes to safety issues.
Here is what you should do:
- NEVER leave your baby unattended in the stroller. This is the most crucial rule since you can’t practice any stroller safety if you’re not around.
- Always check to see the maximum weight that a stroller can handle. If you buy a smaller stroller or your baby has outgrown the old one, you should get a new baby stroller that can easily support your child’s weight. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- The safety features are there for a good reason – use them. Most strollers are fitted with buckles, sun shades, wheel locks and many other great technical details designed solely to keep your infant as safe as possible while he is in the stroller.
- Many strollers come with a cleaning and maintenance guide; stick to the guidelines to make sure that your stroller is always in top shape. Even the best strollers are not durable, but you can at least make sure that they last as long as possible.
Tips for Using Jogging Strollers
Jogging strollers are unique in the sense that they allow you to run while pushing the stroller. As a result, when running with a jogging stroller, you have to take many variables into account if you want your baby to be safe and comfortable.
- First of all, make sure your baby is at least six months old, as younger infants can be in danger at higher speeds since their head and neck has to be kept as stable as possible.
- Before starting to run, strap your baby in with the full harness. This will protect him not only from falling out but also from getting his fingers caught in the wheels if he happens to reach his hand out. This can be a noteworthy problem even if you’re not running too fast.
- Also, you should lock the front wheels to keep the stroller from going off course.
- Last but not least, plan according to the weather and protect your child from the elements. Too much sunlight or too cold weather can be very dangerous, and it can be easy for you to lose track of the temperature after you get warm from your running session.
Regardless of whether you own a lightweight umbrella stroller, a pram or a secure jogging stroller, you will have to remember to use it with great care and consideration. This is, after all, your baby’s health and well-being that’s at stake, so don’t underestimate the importance of some of the safety and usage tips presented here.
If you use your stroller correctly and responsibly, you can easily avoid any potential accidents, and you and your baby will be able to enjoy the stroller for an excellent long time.